Leaks can Damage Your Jaguar’s Water Pump HousingPosted on: October 24, 2022
Jaguars combine high-end performance with smooth rides. One issue that we encounter with Jaguars is water pump housing damage. This can be caused by coolant leaks from the water pump. Let’s take a closer look at the causes and where to go for help.
What is the water pump housing?
The water pump is located in the water pump housing. It is often aluminum, cast iron, or steel. The water pump housing has a small weep hole to allow leaking coolant to escape. Allowing the coolant to escape prevents it from entering the water pump bearing assembly. The hole can be located on the bottom, top, or side of the housing unit.
Coolant leaks can be due to a faulty pump shaft seal. To ensure that you are not experiencing a leak, make sure regular maintenance is performed and the weep hole inspected. A coolant leak should be fixed right away before any more damage is incurred.
Common Signs of a Bad Water Pump
The water pump circulates coolant through the cooling system. It is a critical component that helps maintain the engine’s proper temperature. Without a properly-working water pump, your engine will overheat and experience total engine failure.
Here are some common signs of water pump failure:
- Weep Hole Leak: During an inspection, our mechanics can see if there is any coolant seeping from the hole. They will also look for additional signs of a leak such as crusting and deposit buildup.
- Coolant Leak: If you find a leak under your vehicle, other than condensation, have it checked out immediately. You can distinguish coolant from other fluids by its bright color. It is often yellow or green.
- Gasket Leak: There are several gaskets in the water pump. Over time, they can wear out and allow coolant to escape. The coolant needs to be at a specific level to sufficiently cool the engine. Not having enough coolant can cause your engine to overheat.
- Rust and Corrosion: A slow leak can lead to rusting and corrosion. During regular maintenance, we will look for symptoms of a slow leak.
- Loud Whining: A faulty water pump can cause a loud whining noise.
- Steam Coming out of the Radiator: When you see steam coming out of the radiator, this means that the engine is overheating. Stop driving your car immediately to prevent further damage and call for a tow.
- Overheating Engine: The engine must be kept cool. When it is not receiving the proper amount of coolant, it will overheat. A failed water pump cannot circulate the coolant. This leads to overheating. Never drive your vehicle with an overheating engine. It can cause complete engine failure along with additional component failures.
Driving with a Faulty Water Pump
It is not safe to drive your Jaguar with a faulty water pump. If you are experiencing any of the above issues, call us today. Continuing to drive with a faulty water pump can lead to permanent engine damage and expensive repair bills for an engine rebuild. You can also break down while driving and have an accident.
Preventing Water Pump Failure
Water pumps often last for many years, but they can experience failure. However, most failures can be prevented.
Tips for preventing water pump failure:
- Stay current on regular maintenance
- Have your coolant level checked
- Replace old coolant as scheduled
- Watch for leaks
- Look for buildup
- Have the water pump replaced as scheduled
- Never drive with an overheating engine
Replacing the Water Pump and Water Pump Housing
Your water pump is vital to your Jaguar. Without it, you would not be able to drive. Service at Landmark can replace your water pump and water pump housing. Our highly-qualified technicians keep current on all the latest technology in your Jaguar. We will diagnose and fix your problem at a fraction of the cost of a dealership.
Visit our Service Center Today
If you are experiencing a coolant leak or any other symptom of water pump failure, trust the experts at Service at Landmark. We pride ourselves in being a full-service facility and the alternative to an expensive dealership. You can count on us to handle all your Jaguar service and maintenance needs.
We proudly service European vehicle customers in and around Seattle and Bellevue, WA. Stop by our service center today at 13815 NE 24th St, Bellevue, WA 98005 to schedule your appointment. Or call us at (425) 800-0345.