Replace a BMW’s Ignition Module at the Best Repair Shop in BellevuePosted on: January 17, 2023
The moment you decide to purchase a BMW, there is no doubt that you are investing in a superior vehicle. The models are not only visually pleasing, but they are also packed with features and appeal. All the models are designed with sleek exteriors and plush interiors to make you comfortable. The thrill of driving your new BMW will leave you exhilarated and delighted.
BMWs are also great family cars due to their high safety ratings, performance, and design. When you purchased your BMW, you likely considered all of these factors; however, as your car ages, you may have noticed some issues. A problem with the ignition module is one of the possible issues you may encounter. Therefore, you will need to be aware of the symptoms that indicate your BMW needs an ignition module replacement to determine if it requires one.
The Role of the Ignition Module in Your BMW
An ignition module is a component responsible for turning on and off the ignition coil. A signal is sent to the ignition module when the key activates the starter, sending a spark to the coil so the car can begin to run.
It is only possible for the ignition coil to turn on with the ignition module. Considering the ignition module as a switch is a simpler way to understand it. The vehicle will turn on when the switch is flipped. If the switch is flipped the other way, it will turn off the engine. Having a malfunctioning ignition module prevents your BMW from starting altogether.
Warning Signs of a Malfunctioning Ignition Module
A malfunctioning ignition control module can lead to the following troublesome symptoms, since it plays such a critical role in the functioning of your BMW engine:
- Misfiring and Difficulty Starting the Engine: When an engine fails to perform properly, such as misfiring, drivers are inconvenienced. A malfunctioning ignition control module can be the culprit. This will need to be replaced by professional BMW mechanics.
- Hesitation and Reduced Power: A BMW with diminished power and hesitation upon acceleration may be experiencing an ignition control module failure. You know your BMW better than anyone. If you suspect it’s not behaving normally, have us inspect it with our diagnostic tools, and we’ll get to the root of the problem.
- Increased Fuel Consumption: Your BMW’s gas mileage will suffer if the engine doesn’t run efficiently. If your ignition control module malfunctions, your engine can’t burn fuel optimally due to the engine’s timing being off. This results in wasted fuel and more money out of your pocket.
- Engine Stalling: The failure of the ignition control module can also lead to engine stalling. This is because the ignition and combustion processes are interrupted by the failing module. You’ll need a replacement to ensure your BMW’s engine doesn’t suffer and cause more parts to fail.
The Most Common Reasons Why the Ignition Module Fails
Electrical failures and engine overheating are two of the most common causes of ignition module failure. So let’s examine these causes in more detail.
- Electrical Failures: As an electrical component, the ignition module is very susceptible to failures in its electronic parts. Various factors can cause the ignition module not to receive and relay data from the ECU, including loose or damaged electrical connections, wiring problems, and contact faults.
- Overheating of the Engine: It is also possible for your ignition module to be critically damaged by engine overheating. It should be noted that the ignition module is located on top of the engine. Although insulated from the high temperatures produced by your engine, it is susceptible to overheating and can become damaged if the engine spikes in temperature or overheats. Overheating can cause delicate electrical components within the unit to become permanently damaged, preventing the part from functioning properly and requiring a replacement.
Landmark Motors is Your BMW Specialist
With years of experience working on BMWs in Bellevue, WA and its surrounding areas, Landmark Motors has helped BMW drivers throughout the region keep their cars running in top condition. Our mechanics will identify problems in the ignition module and check the systems of your BMW. In order to determine whether there is a developing issue, we will perform a comprehensive diagnostic test using the latest equipment and advise you of our findings. Often, this gives our clients the confidence they enjoy, knowing their car is in good shape. Please contact or visit us today if you’d like to schedule an appointment.