Symptoms of a Crankshaft Position Sensor Failure in a MercedesPosted on: May 13, 2022
Mercedes models have a crankshaft position sensor that checks the position and speed of the crankshaft. However, no matter how strong it was made the sensors may develop faults that would affect the engine and the car as a whole.
The crankshaft in the internal combustion engine of your Mercedes converts the reciprocating motion from the piston to rotational motion. This causes the wheels to rotate and move in the direction wanted. The crankshaft position sensor receives information of the crankshaft speed and sends it to the control system of the engine. The engine control unit uses this information to control the timing of the injection and ignition system. This enables the engine to supply the right amount of power.
Causes Of Crankshaft Position Sensor Problem
The crankshaft position sensor may develop faults because of the following:
- Overheating of Engine: As the engine overheats, it may cause damage as the plastic covering of the crankshaft position sensor may melt.
- Problems In the Circuit System: When there is a fault in the wiring system of the vehicle, the signals produced by the crankshaft sensors may be affected.
Signs of a Failed Crankshaft Position Sensor
If you notice the following in your Mercedes, it could be an indication that the crankshaft position sensor is having problems. They include:
- Problems In Starting The Vehicle: When your Mercedes fails to start, it might be that the crankshaft position sensor is bad or has failed. Since the function of the crankshaft position sensor is to check the position and velocity at which the crankshaft rotates, the vehicle would not start well if the sensor is bad.
- Vehicle Stalling: The signal from the crankshaft may be cut off even when the engine is active if the crankshaft position sensor has problems. Although this can signal a problem in the wiring issues, it can also be a result of the faulty crankshaft position sensor.
- Check Engine Light signal: The check light in your Mercedes is meant to alert you when there is a problem with the components of your car. A faulty crankshaft position sensor would trigger the check light. Whenever you notice the light on, you need to take your car to a mechanic to ascertain the cause.
- Slow Acceleration: When the crank position sensor is not functioning properly, the engine would not be able to adjust the spark timing and injection of fuel because the crankshaft position sensor is not feeding the control unit of the engine accurate input. This would lead to uneven or poor acceleration.
- Misfiring of the Cylinders: A bad crankshaft position sensor would cause the cylinders to misfire and you will feel a vibration in the engine. The misfire occurs because the crankshaft position sensor fails to send the right information about the position of the piston in the engine.
- Engine Vibration While Idle: If you notice that the engine of your Mercedes is vibrating when your car is idling or even when you have stopped, it could be because the crankshaft sensor is not monitoring its position.
- Increase in Fuel Consumption: If the fuel injectors do not receive accurate information, they cannot pump the right amount of gas needed by the engine, and as such, the engine may use fuel excessively.
If you notice any of these symptoms in your Mercedes, you need to bring it to our expert mechanics. These symptoms may be a result of another issue, so our mechanics will be in the right position to tell you what it means.
Also, these symptoms may be caused by neglecting the maintenance of your car. You need to schedule preventive maintenance appointments so that you would deal with the problems before they happen.
Landmark Motors Will Fix Your Crankshaft Position Sensor
Regular preventive maintenance of the engine of your Mercedes would keep your crankshaft position sensor running properly. If you notice any of the above symptoms in your Mercedes, bring it at once to us at Landmark Motors.
We have ASE-certified technicians who will inspect, diagnose, and repair your crankshaft position sensor problem. We also perform scheduled maintenance appointments for your Mercedes to prolong its life. Landmark Motors is the leading European vehicle specialist in Seattle and Bellevue, WA and proudly serves our neighbors in the surrounding communities. To set up an appointment, call us today!