The Best Methods to Prevent Air Bag Issues in Your AudiPosted on: February 1, 2021
Airbags are one of the most important features of any modern day car. Not only do they keep you safe during the event of an accident, but they also help give you peace of mind while driving your family on a daily basis.
There are a few different ways to prevent air bag issues if you are the driver or owner of an Audi. If you are located in Seattle or Bellevue, Washington, one of the best preventative measures you can take is to bring your vehicle to Landmark Motors for routine inspections and corrective car care.
Since the 1970s, car airbags have been used in vehicles to reduce death and injury of the vehicle’s occupants. It works by creating a barrier between the passenger and the inside of the vehicle. This keeps the driver and passengers from bumping their head or scratching themselves against flying materials during an accident. Airbags, often made of nylon inflatable balloon-like bags, use sensors to inflate when hit with an object.
Common Airbag Issues that can Arise in Your Audi
There are three major issues that can arise in your Audi when it comes to airbag safety. These issues include:
- Failure of the airbag inflation mechanism: The failure of an airbag inflation mechanism can occur when the airbag inflator panel gets stuck and does not fire during an accident. This could mean that either the airbag remains shut and does not protect the passengers of the vehicle, or that it has an error while attempting to open. If the error occurs, the air bag could shoot shrapnel throughout the cabin of the vehicle, causing major injuries.
- Premature inflation of the airbags: When the airbag inflates without any impact, this is called premature airbag inflation. This can be dangerous because if it happens while driving, it could cause the driver of the Audi to crash their car.
- An airbag recall: An airbag recall is what happens when a car company such as Audi realizes that a certain car model’s airbags are not properly activating. They then inform the owners of these vehicles that the airbag systems must be replaced, usually at no cost to the Audi owner.
How to Reset the Airbag Light in Your Audi
Part of preventing air bag issues in your Audi includes knowing how to check the airbag and resetting the airbag light. To do so, take the following steps:
Step 1: Put the key into your Audi’s ignition without putting your foot on the break.
Step 2: Turn your key in the ignition to the “on” position. The dashboard lights should illuminate.
Step 3: Plug the diagnostic tool into your Audi, if it does not have a built-in diagnostic tool.
Step 4: Look at the diagnostic tool and wait for the error codes to display.
Step 5: Look for the “delete” button on the menu and press it.
Step 6: After you have pressed “delete”, choose “reset the SRS light”.
This will have successfully reset your airbag light, making sure that it will signal when the airbag in your Audi airbag is either turned on or off.
The Importance of Preventing Airbag Issues
Having properly operating airbags is of utmost importance in your Audi. If your airbags do not work, they could cause extreme harm to you and the passengers in your vehicle. If your airbags ever do malfunction, the best ways to avoid airbag injury is to:
- wear your seatbelt correctly
- sit an appropriate distance away from your steering wheel
- ensure your children are properly restrained
- keep babies facing backwards in the backseat
- have an airbag on and off switch
Landmark Motors Can Prevent Airbag Issues in Your Audi
Whether you are driving from Seattle, Washington, or from Bellevue, Washington, Landmark Motors is the reliable resource to help you prevent airbag issues in your Audi. Our caring staff is always on top of all recall announcements and is equipped with the tips and tools you need to keep your family safe.
Our certified service is always: no pressure. Our facility is state-of-the-art, with the most recent tools and software available to all our technicians. Give us a call today to schedule an appointment, or use our online appointment form for a quick and easy experience. Let us earn your repeat business by visiting or calling us today.